Monday, September 17, 2007

When you want info... where do you go?

Living here in the desert with a three other "city gals"... well, actually "island gals" from Put In Bay, Ohio, I often have to search for information either to support something I'm trying to explain to them, or to get my "thinking cap" cranked up.

So, where do I go for information?

One of the places I go is to a forum I found earlier this summer. It's a new forum, but is comprised of several very knowledgeable and helpful women around the world. We have members from several regions of the USA as well as Canada, and NZ.

We all share a profound joy for life, and living simply, in harmony with our surroundings. Most of us have at least a garden to enjoy, and some of us have small farms. A few of us actually have enough land and produce to have market stores, or participate in Farmer's Markets.

One of the things I really appreciate about this forum is the complete lack of "swaps, and barters", as well as no politics or talk of religion. There are plenty of forums for these activities, and I do read them, also.

I've discovered several really great ideas from the gals here that haven't been discussed elsewhere.

Here's the one idea I'll be implementing that will save us hundreds of dollars this next spring.

Another new member had asked for specifics on starting a compost pile, like the proper ratios of "greens to browns" and moisture, as well as the use of a "barrel composter". I followed up with the fact that here in the desert, our challenges are somewhat unique.

We have a lack of moisture, wide temperature swings and persistent winds.

Lucy from Boulder Belt Blog suggested I use landscaping fabric to cover the fully built pile. It will let the pile breath, while helping conserve the moisture (something a blue plastic tarp won't do). It will also allow any moisture we receive (mostly snow) seep into it . By weighing down the edges, it won't blow away in the wind.

Here's why I said it will save us hundreds of dollars... we need at least 100 cubic yards of garden-ready "dirt" this next spring to go into our new raised beds (all boxed in with 2x12's). To purchase that much dirt would cost me over $800.

Ladies of Women Who Farm... I really appreciate all your help, and I love being of service to y'all, too.

Labels: ,

Posted by Shari Thomas @ 10:58 AM

Read or Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]