Monday, May 7, 2007

Change is the constant here... I'll be training a horse

Last week was one of "those" weeks.

Just after I wrote the last post, we had a quick family meeting...

Bev was asking us to approve her reasons for leaving the job she got in St. George. You see, she's a cancer survivor, and the chemotherapy really slowed her down. She's a retired cop and thought sure she could handle a dispatcher's position.

Unfortunately, learning the new computer system and having to type while carrying on two different conversations, was more than her stress level could handle.

On top of that, fuel and food was costing about 40% of her take-home pay. And gas just keeps going up.

We all agreed that it was best. It would get her back on a regular schedule instead of shift work, and with Cindy going back to work at the farm, the income difference would be minimal.

After that, we settled in for a week of nasty weather... wind storms, rain, maybe snow and sleet. About all we did from Tuesday to Friday was go out to feed while struggling to stand up.

Bev returned to her "old job" driving the Senior Center bus. Thursday included a trip to St. George. Since I'm 61 and eligible to ride the bus... I am able to do the "animal feed" shopping and bring it back on the bus. At least that's the feed that is bagged and any other equipment we can fit into the bus. Sure beats spending our gas money!

This weekend, Cindy, Bev, neighbor Dixie and I attended the "Downunder Horsemanship" seminar by Clinton Anderson. What an awesome time. Cindy and Dixie are the horse owners. In fact, Dixie is a breeder/trainer. Bev and I both love to ride, but have never owned our horses.

Starting later this week, I'll be working a horse under Dixie's tutelage.

While I grew up riding horses, took a couple years of English riding lessons, and earned my "horsewoman's badge" in Girl Scouts, as an adult, I've had very limited time on a horse. I don't really remember doing any "ground and foot work" with any of the horses. So this is all new territory for me.

About those fence post holes... we managed to fit everyone into our current configuration. We'll dig a little later.

Labels: ,

Posted by Shari Thomas @ 4:13 PM

Read or Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]