Saturday, March 17, 2007

A day of new life, and loss

Here I was, working away on a web site. Cindy had gone to work at another farm, and Bev was filling in on the Senior bus, when the call came in.

"This is Dixie. I've got a ewe that's stuck in the same position for four hours. I need help now!."

It was like "tag, your it"... so off I went.

Shortly after I caught up with Dixie near the lambing pens, she had me at the head of the ewe. My job was to contain the ewe while she pulled on the little lamb. Within a couple of minutes this yearling momma had her first little ewe lamb.

Sorry, no pictures as there were no free hands.

I'm happy to report that both Ma and little lamb are doing very well. By the time I left she had the little girl up on her feet and was cleaning and nursing her.

It was a "planned loss" day, as we took Missie to the vet to have her put down. At 15, she's lived a very full life and crossing the Rainbow Ridge was a only a matter of time. Over the past few weeks, she had been losing bladder control and we found a massive tumor inside her mouth.


Wouldn't you know it, the regular vet was out of town, so we were referred to another very nice new vet. I was absolutely amazed at his compassion. Cindy and I were there to hold her as "Doc" administered the injection and then confirmed her passing. Then, to my amazement, he allowed us privacy for as long as wanted.

Sad task completed, it was time to again look to the future... off to purchase building materials for our chicken coop, and surprise, surprise... put a greenhouse on lay-away.

Personal side note: With blue skies and temps in the 70's, my poor ears are sooooo sunburned. Shortly I'll get a pic of me in my summer straw.

Labels:

Posted by Shari Thomas @ 8:40 PM

Read or Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]